For adults with an overbite or misaligned teeth, Invisalign offers an aesthetic alternative to chunky, inconvenient braces. “Invisalign” is a thin, clear aligner that fits over one or both sets of your teeth and gradually shifts them into place. Like its name implies, Invisalign is nearly invisible and unnoticeable when worn.
Do I qualify for Invisalign?
Invisalign is appropriate for nearly any healthy patient. Your dentist may recommend it after an in-office consultation. He or she will map out a treatment plan, in which your aligners are to be worn about 22 hours per day, with aligners being switched every two weeks until they’re in their desired placement.
You may be a good candidate if you have the following dental characteristics:
- No serious health or dental issues that would prevent Invisalign from working
- Spaces between teeth
- Overbite, underbite, or crossbite
- Overly crowded teeth, or teeth that align in front of or behind other teeth
Your aligners are custom-made by your dentist to fit your individual mouth and provide your desired aesthetic and functional outcome; with straighter teeth, your chewing and speaking abilities can improve significantly, and caring for your teeth is much easier.
Benefits of Invisalign
If you follow your dentist’s instructions for use and care of your aligner, you can reap the benefits of this aligner in just a few weeks. Maintaining good oral hygiene, keeping your aligner in for the appropriate amount of time, and using the cleaning kit provided by your dentist are all integral components that provide its best results. Although Invisalign typically costs more than topical braces, the ease and convenience of a removable aligner significantly balance the additional expenses.
- There’s no need to avoid difficult foods: if you had braces as a child, you’ll recall your dentist asking you to stay away from hard foods like carrots, or sticky foods like candy, all of which could damage your braces. With Invisalign, you can remove your aligner while you eat whatever you want.
- Unlike obstructive braces, Invisalign is clear and nearly unnoticeable when worn.
- Invisalign is more comfortable and safer than braces, and is a great option for sports enthusiasts or the accident-prone.
- Because you can remove your aligners when you brush your teeth, it’s easier to keep your teeth clean and healthy. Your dentist will provide you with a cleaning kit for your aligner, and the option to remove it at any time can help prevent the buildup of plaque.
Invisalign can be fragile, and thus may be more appropriate for adults or older teens who can be responsible with breakable items. However, if used properly, it can offer fantastic results without the inconvenience of braces. Talk with your dentist about their recommendation and whether Invisalign is right for you.